Sunday, September 28, 2014

An Indian Father's Plea

Reflection:
This piece of writing reflects on almost every individuals of different cultures whom is struggling to adapt. Minorities in the U.S education system are sometimes considered "slow" in learning when in reality they are capable human beings that can be taught, just in a different way. It is the educator's job to recognize this and provide support for these children. In addition, an educator needs patient because as the text describe learning in different environment takes times to adjust(263). It makes me think about the special programs in schools such as ESL( English Second Language) that I was in during elementary school. The program provided helped so many kids including myself learn at our own pace. I was really thankful for the teachers that was kind enough to understand that different culture learn differently and cannot be forced to make immediate change. The boy in this reading was tired of schools and started to abandon all his heritage and culture because he was being teased at school. This in my opinion is not right because each and every culture has something to contribute and we need to look at it with an opened-mind to appreciate it's values. Children that were raised in cultures are "...a full basket coming into a different environment and society with something special to share"(265).


Questions/Comments/Point to Share:
The boy in An Indian Father's Plea lost his heritage because of being teased at school. I can relate to his struggles to make friends and fit in. I was the same back in elementary school, struggling to adapt to the new environment and I changed a lot because of it. I would always bug my mom to buy new clothes in the style that everyone else wears and have the same phone as them. When I left High School not a lot of those things matter to me anymore and I realized that being who you are is what makes you shine from the rest.

http://ctb.ku.edu/en/table-of-contents/culture/cultural-competence/building-relationships/main

3 comments:

  1. Did you also notice that next to the authors name was what it looked like was probably his Native American name? I just thought it was ironic that he was speaking so passionately about his culture and chose to use his American name as the prominent one. It actually made me think of you when you were telling us how you decided to use Kevin because it was easier for everyone to pronounce. I was happy to hear your thoughts on this piece

    ReplyDelete
  2. You attached a very useful resource. Hope you get to share it with others. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked your personal connection to this piece. You experienced this first hand, and I am glad that you shared it your experience.

    ReplyDelete