Sunday, September 21, 2014

Peggy McIntosh "White Privilege"

Reflection:
I definitely agree with the author's opinion on white privilege. When someone is born with this  privilege, they do not recognize it because they are raised to do so. It makes me think about my experiences in my own country before I moved into the United States. I had both male and race privileges because I am a native of that country. I would always hear people around me whisper badly about anyone that were from overseas, such as tourists and visitors. Furthermore, they would stare at them in a weird way just because those people were different. I did not really thought much of it until I moved to U.S where I experienced the same feeling. I was always afraid to speak out loud because I might get judged by other people or make a mistake and get laughed at. I was always the quiet kid and it was difficult to make new friends because I did not share any similarities with white children.
So it is true that anyone can be born with privilege they do not know about; until they learn what it is like not having it. In this country, it is white privilege and it gives advantage over those who does not have it.

Questions/Comments/Point to Share:
As one become more mature, does it become more obvious that white privilege exist? It did not really occur to me until later on in Junior High School. I was too young and naive in elementary school to notice it. I want to know what it is like from a white person perspective and when did they know they had this privilege.

http://occupywallstreet.net/story/explaining-white-privilege-broke-white-person


2 comments:

  1. Hi Kevin! I find this post very interesting about racism from a different country. I never thought about how in different countries, there is racial majority privilege as well. It was interesting to hear you explain how it was moving here and feeling like you didn't fit in. I hope that as our society becomes more aware and embraces each others differences, no immigrant child will feel unwelcome ever again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin,This was so interesting. I also enjoyed reading your link because it added so much value to our understanding of white privilege. The cartoon was right on.

    ReplyDelete