Sunday, October 12, 2014

Allen et al Speaking the unspeakable

Reflection:
In a diverse classroom, everyone needs to be treated as who they are. While I think race is important, there is also the issue of sexuality. There is an absent presence of gays and lesbian in most classroom but it does still exist. It is easier to hide compared to something such as race. However, it is a person's identity and having to hide that must be really stressful on that person. I can relate this to my years in elementary through high school because as the year progress I noticed that a lot more people are more opened to their sexuality. There was even a gay and straight alliance meeting every so often in my high school. More importantly, it should be brought up more in elementary schools so kids will grow up being more understanding and not use the word "gay" as an insult. People from my generation, in my opinion are more acceptable toward gays and lesbians than a lot of the adults. They shelter their kids and not address this problem to them when it should be known in schools and at home.

Questions/Comments/Point To Share:
 I regret being so ignorant as a kid because in school I used to insult people with the word "gay". I never had anyone tell me that its acceptable to be gay and it is not a bad thing. Does anyone else had that experience before?

https://www.aclu.org/lgbt-rights/lgbt-youth-schools

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kevin, I used your blog this week for my extended comments blog.

    ReplyDelete