Sunday, October 26, 2014

Kahne and Westheimer, "In Service of What?"

Reflection:
I can relate this to the service learning project we are doing in class for FNED. It's a great way to give back to the community I live in and make a difference. A lot of kids does not have the attention they deserve and one teacher cannot give all the kids in his/her classroom the same amount of attention. Service learning helps the young students learn and have a person other than their usual teacher appreciate them.
I have visit my school for 4 days total now and every visit I can see see they gotten better each time because they are getting that one on one experience. I am also learning from them as they are learning from me. They taught me the values of helping others and the experience that comes with it. I have not done any service learning in the past but this one gave me new perspective on how important it is and the impact it gives for that classroom of students.
Question/Comments/Point to Share:
Doing service learning is a start for the teaching career and it gives some experience with working in a classroom. However, is there a great difference to being a teacher managing a whole classroom? I had somewhat of a difficulty talking to 5 students at once and helping them equally. I would imagine it would being really difficult for the teacher. 

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20120311/news/703119898/

No comments:

Post a Comment