Sunday, November 9, 2014

Fairbanks,Crooks, and Ariail, "Becoming Something Different"

Reflection:
This reading relates to many things I experienced as well I other people I see experience with the culture barrier and learning to adapt. Through the point of view of Esme Martinez, I can recall having that shift between two cultures. It was very difficult and requires a lot of time to get used to. My cousin and I are about the same age and we moved here at ages 8-9 so we experienced a lot of similar things. We had to speak our native language, Vietnamese at home so our family would understand and still had to learn English outside of home to keep up in school. It was definitely a struggle because I had to learn English during my summer vacation and on the weekends while I see other kids enjoy the outdoors. I also remember holding in a lot of things that I was trying to say but could not say it because I know people would have a hard time understanding what I was trying to say. However, thanks to the resources provided by the school through ELL programs and English learning books written in Vietnamese I was able to learn a lot faster. The friends that I made in ELL class also helped me learn because they knew what I was going through. Being supported by the community helped me get through the language barrier and by the time I was out of elementary school I was in regular English class like the rest of my peers.

Questions/Comments/Point to Share:
My cousins and I all speak English to each other now that it has become our second language. My parents, aunts and uncles always yelled at us telling us to speak Vietnamese at home or else we will forget our culture and native language. That advice reminded everyday to never forget my heritage and where I came from.

http://www.csmonitor.com/The-Culture/Arts/2011/1018/Bilingual-and-struggling


2 comments:

  1. Kev I thought about you while reading this and was asking myself how you adjusted in school and if it was hard for you or were you set in classes that weren't "regular" and how you felt. I am glad the ELL programs helped you. Now you're in college. My question is do you still find it difficult or has it become easier for you to learn and understand and to speak up because you mentioned that you didn't speak up much? Do you feel that you have gotten better? And do you continue to practice to get better? Those are my questions because it seems like you do well but I'm just curious how you feel about yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel a lot better speaking English but sometimes I fet my words mixed up or stutter over them. Although, I am a lot better with writing because I have time to organize my thoughts. I feel timid speaking most of the time because it's my nature growing up not being able to express myself knowing only my native language. I've gotten alot better over the years.

    ReplyDelete