Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Finn, "Literacy with an Attitude"

Reflection/Argument:
The reading talked argued about literacy putting labels on students in different social classes to determine their intellectual capacity. The school makes literacy based on how well the students learn and put them in different levels of "grades" ex. Finn taught at a black neighborhood where the school had 8th graders sorted by levels, 8-1s as the highest and 8-15s as lowest. The teachers with less seniority would have to "suffer", as it seems because they would have to be stuck with the kids who are struggling and are put into those classes because they got into trouble. This to me, gave kids the impression of fearfulness toward being labeled as dumb and stupid because they are in the lower classes. They will not reach the expectation they deserved because they are limited to what they can do in lower level classes. Their performance academically and socially will fall short due to the limited resources they are given. While on the other hand, the upper class kids are doing well and the teachers with a lot more experience doesn't break a sweat teaching them. That is a waste of talent putting teachers who are experienced teaching the kids who are excelling academically.
By putting labels on students who are struggling, that is equivalent of saying they are failing and they cannot get any better. There is a lack encouragements for these students and they need that motivation to do better. One cannot fix their mistakes if one does not realize their mistakes. It is a huge mistake just telling students they failed and put them in a lower level classroom because the problem will just continue or worsen. I had my own experience with the same problem and if it wasn't for my ELL teachers and family I would have learned a lot slower than I did in elementary school. When I moved to America I was in the third grade and all the assignments I did had a grade of "U". Even though I did not get any of it I still tried but they never said anything to me and just graded everything with U; even my report card had this letter grade. They brush off my struggles in literacy and because I was in a special ELL class they push me to the next grade. I did not learn much of my actually class in third grade. My dad made me learn English vocabulary over the summer and read books with translation to slow improve my English skill. I did not get labeled as dumb but the grades they gave me made me seem dumb because everyone else had A, B, C and so on. In addition, I was already in a special ELL class so they did not feel like I should be put in a lower grade. I was lucky to have the motivation from my ELL teachers and my family to get better and in some schools, the poor working class does not have that opportunity and they just had to deal with it. Everyone deserve a chance to showcase their intelligent and not everyone learn at the same pace. Putting labels on students kills their creativity and confidence in learning. A light bulb has potential to shine brightly as with any student has a chance to excel in learning. 

http://www-scf.usc.edu/~sgabay/academic%20labeling.htm



1 comment:

  1. I agree that there is a lack of encouragement and motivation for students who most need it. Kids are left behind as soon as they are labeled as slow learners, or as anything that will not get them to success. By doing this, we are really limiting opportunities and success rates for children.

    ReplyDelete